Google
Coaching DVDs at Championship Productions

Wednesday, April 30, 2014

"The Slump"

From the archives: “I’ve had slumps last all winter” Bob Uecker

Every ballplayer at some point in his career goes through a slump. Vance Law described it as, “The field looking like one big glove and everything I hit goes right into it”. The slump is often referred to as being, “Snake Bit”. For this reason, some ball players have been known to carry anti venom in their travel bags to cure the dreaded curse. Still others, like Yogi Berra, refused to admit their bad luck: “Slump? I ain’t in no slump….I’m just not hitting”. Even the great Mickey Mantle dealt with it. Mickey stated, “During my 18 years I came to bat 10,000 times. I struck out about 1,700 times and walked maybe 1,800 times. Figuring a ballplayer will average about 500 at bats a season. That means I played seven years without ever hitting the ball”. That should put it in perspective. Thanks Mick.

The slump is not always related to a flaw in your technique. One’s troubles may have something to do with the guy on the mound. Making adjustments to what he is doing is important to your success as well. The best way to handle a slump is to: 1) realize everyone goes through it, 2) keep faith in your ability, even when others may want to reinvent your swing and 3) go back to the basics. Hitting is an art, but it is not an exact science. Timing, feel, confidence and hard work are the intangibles that every good hitter needs to put his technique into action and break out of the slump. Consider this basic thought, "My theory of hitting was just to watch the ball as it came in and hit it." Tommy Lasorda