Google
Coaching DVDs at Championship Productions

Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Defining Moments

Defining moments, we've all had them - specific, powerful moments in our lives that can forever reshape, impact, and change our direction in life. It is not just another point on the daily measure of time; rather, it is a moment from which all future time is forever changed. An epiphany, if you will.

I can still remember the point in my life when I decided that teaching and coaching was what I wanted to do, and even the set of criteria involved in that decision. Today, after 34 years in teaching/coaching, my greatest defining moments are not found in victories/titles, but in seeing the athletes I've coached/taught, go into our profession because of something I did or said.

We (coaches) have a tremendous responsibility beyond the game and ourselves, as our words and actions go far beyond the defining moments on the athletic field. Take some time before your season starts and ask yourself, how you are impacting, shaping or even changing the direction of your players lives?

Remember, not every player will make a living in this game - But every player will make a living at something - Be there for every player.