Google
Coaching DVDs at Championship Productions

Monday, February 9, 2009

A-Rod Admits Using Performance-Enhancers

NEW YORK (AP)—Alex Rodriguez admitted Monday that he used performance-enhancing drugs from 2001-03, saying he did so because of the pressures of being baseball’s highest-paid player. In a recent interview with Peter Gammons Rodriquez said, "Back then, it was a different culture. It was very loose. I was young, I was stupid, I was naive. I wanted to prove to everyone that I was worth being one of the greatest players of all-time. I did take a banned substance, and for that I'm very sorry. I'm deeply regretful."

Scott Boras told Fox Sports on Saturday that even if the SI report is accurate, "It was one season, and since then, Alex has gotten the 'Good Housekeeping' seal the last five years by passing baseball's drug tests."

While I respect his honesty, (more than can be said for other players) many questions remain. Where did he get the steroids? What did he put into his body? Can he rehabilitate himself? How will this effect his legacy? How are Yankee fans going to treat him? Can he focus on Baseball? Alex Rodriguez is a great talent, one of Baseball's best in this era or any other. But now, he may be a superior talent with public doubt attached, with the asterisk of steroid use next to his name.

If pressure existed with the Rangers in 2001-2003, how much more will there be to preform in New York with a $275 million dollar contract for the next nine years with everyone watching?